Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hawaii Day Eight: June 20th, 2008




Today I had a wonderful time visiting the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden. It is on the Old Mamalahoa Highway, a scenic road with lots of one lane bridges, about 8 miles north of Hilo. The garden also overlooks Onomea Bay, which is very beautiful. Part of the reason this garden was created was to preserve the beauty of Onomea Bay and its surroundings. I’ve included a few photos from the garden here, but I added a lot more to my Ofoto page (see link at side) if you want to see more. There are especially lots of photos of orchids, which I love. There would be more photos of orchids, but my camera ran out of battery power while I was photographing all the orchids.

I also had a really delicious smoothie at the What’s Shakin’ smoothie place just north of the Botanical Garden, also on the Mamalahoa Highway. I got the Lava Java shake – coffee, bananas, and chocolate, but they have all kinds of shakes. They also feed stray cats! I could just go live there … hmmm.

Anyway, short entry tonight because I’m getting ready to trundle off to Volcano National Park and visit Pele for the Summer Solstice. I may not be able to blog again for a few days, so Happy Solstice everyone! Enjoy the longest day of the year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Veronica. It sounds like you are having a very nice trip. You take beautiful photographs. Love, Dad