Monday, June 16, 2008

Hawaii Day Two: Saturday, June 14th, 2008

Today’s adventure was visiting the Farmer’s Market in Hilo. Check out their website at www.hilofarmersmarket.com There was an abundance of locally grown produce, including lychees, three kinds of mango, at least two kinds of papaya, two kinds of banana, baby eggplant, pineapple, and more! I bought lots of fresh fruits and veggies to eat back at my house, which has a fully equipped kitchen. I also got a wonderful shoulder massage from a woman named Blanche who has a stall at the market. It was only $20 for 30 minutes, and she seemed surprised when I gave her a tip. She was great! If you are ever in Hilo on a Saturday I highly recommend getting a shoulder massage from Blanche.

I also walked around downtown Hilo a little bit. There were a few tourist shops, a book shop, food shops, and a natural foods grocery store. I saw a couple of street people, as well. They were walking around talking to themselves. Hilo is, in fact, the second biggest city in the state of Hawaii, second to Honolulu, of course. It doesn’t seem all that big, especially because all buildings are capped at two stories, but it is a sizeable city. The downtown is small, but there is a wide spread of residential neighborhoods and little strip malls.

After visiting Hilo I stopped at the Borders on the way out of town to pick up a guide book to the Big Island, and headed back to my little sanctuary to prepare a tasty spaghetti dinner.

No comments: